Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport Terminal D Expansion
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, USA. 2015-2021
Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport is an essential infrastructure in the United States, being one of the largest connectivity nodes in the region and the 2nd busiest airport in the world in 2022.
The intervention on Terminal D of the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) incorporates four new boarding gates, as well as a 150,700 square feet concourse to connect the original DFW terminal with the new one. The new gates house modern waiting areas and lounges, an international corridor for federal inspections and customs serving international passengers, and an extension to the baggage claim area.
luis vidal + architects have designed this space with large glass facades overlooking the airport runways, which provides a feeling of space and comfort. One of the key aspects of this technological design is the implementation of “View Glass” that allows the façade to be used as a communication tool to show flight details and announcements. This dynamic glass automatically adjusts to solar incidence to optimize access to natural light and views, thus improving the health and well-being of the user. This will reduce energy consumption in the new terminal by 15%.
This project has been made to meet the highest energy standards.
- Place/Date: Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, USA / 2015-2021
- Client: Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport
- Architects: luis vidal + architects (AoR) in association with HKA and Arup
- Consultants: JQ Infrastructure / CEI Consulting Engineers / MOYE Consulting / BNP / Wood Group / Gorrondona & Associates
- Area: 150,700 sq. ft.
- Capacity: 65 M pax/año
- Budget: 194 M USD
- Stage: Built
- Team: Sabina Aparicio – Maria Astiaso – Francisco Alvar Barrera – Alessandro Biondi – Antonio de la Carrera – Louis Edwards – Jesús Gallego – Victoria González-Aller – Silvia Izaguirre – Andrew Kirchhoff – David López – Humberto Martínez – Roberto Moraga – Natalia Moreno – Patricia Plath – David Peña – Marco Pino – Adam Pyrek – Pierluca Roccheggiani – Isabel Rodrigo – Patricia Rojas – Ángel Ruiz – Enrique Sánchez – Sebastian Schaub – Óscar Torrejón – Camila Vera – Luis Vidal