Can Misses Hospital
Ibiza, Spain. 2008-2014
The Health Service’s commission was to refurbish and extend the existing public Hospital into a new Healthcare Complex, tripling the healthcare area and taking advantage of the change to transform how the staff works, thus achieving a highly efficient hospital. The construction and funding of this project are made through a concession scheme in which health services have public management while non-health services have private management. During the construction phase, we conducted a follow-up work of consultation and technical control of the concessionaire to ensure the quality of the hospital.
The design was conceived to mimic Ibiza’s local architecture by using a fragmented construction that introduced white as the predominant color; despite being the largest building on the island, it is still an integrated part of the surroundings. The building extension doubles the existing surface area, housing all healthcare services, while the existing building is refurbished to house supplies and logistics facilities, freeing up ample space for future expansion and other uses.
Can Misses Hospital has been chosen Best Public Service Architecture in the European Property Awards.
- Place/Date: Ibiza, Spain / 2008-2014
- Client: IB Salut, Servicio Balear de Salud
- Architects: luis vidal + architects
- Consultants: Arup / D-fine / CSP
- Area: 723,300 sq. ft. (500,000 sq. ft. hospital + 21,500 sq. ft. renovation + 201,800 sq. ft. car park)
- Budget: 73.6 M €
- Stage: Built
- Team: María Astiaso – David Ávila – Marta Cumellas – Begoña de Andrés – Almudena de Benito – Óscar Ignacio Encabo – David Fernández Llompart – Cristina Galván – Magdalena García de Durango – Isabel Gil – Jaime Gimeno – Carolina Hernández – Itziar Lamy – Jugatx López Amurrio – Patricia Lozano – Paloma Martín – Héctor Orden – Javier Palacios – Martina Rauhut – Patricia Rojas – Francisco Rojo – Arturo Romero – Francisco Sanjuan – Adriana Sobrini – Óscar Torrejón – Luis Vidal – Pablo Vila Ramiro