Boston Logan International Airport – Terminal E Modernization
Boston, USA. 2017-Ongoing
Airport excellence is reaching new heights. Boston International Airport Terminal E is about to become the new symbol of the city, with an airport infrastructure exemplifying the economic drive of Massachusetts’ capital.
luis vidal + architects is the vision and concept architect while AECOM is architect of record. Together they sign this iconic project which connects Boston with its very essence, and that will become a symbol of the airports of the future. It is also one of the most ambitious projects of the Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport): it incorporates unprecedented renovations to international departures hall, as well as to the immigration and customs areas, by designing a roof and skylights that maximize natural light and its efficiency.
Intuitive orientation, spatial clarity and a masterful use of color will transform the experience for any users leaving or arriving into the country through Boston Logan Airport. Its iconic roof, designed alongside the sun´s path, proposes two skylights facing north, composed of two horizontal bands in the shape of eyelashes, which protect the interior of the building from direct sunlight. To the south, the deck gently caresses the façade to reveal a series of openings overlooking Boston’s skyline, offering passengers a memorable view of its radiant skyline.
Another differentiating feature making this airport a unique place, is the exclusive “Boston Red” color on its roof: a prismatic color created ad hoc by Luis Vidal in the Swiss laboratories Monopol for this project. It varies, according to the solar incidence, from an intense shade of red to the orange tones of the Boston sunset.
- Place/Date: Boston, USA / 2017-Ongoing
- Client: Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport)
- Area: 320,000 sqft.
- Architects: luis vidal + architects / AECOM
- Consultants: Thornton Tomasetti / Arora Engineers / Dharam Consulting / Rider Levett Bucknall / Collabortive Lighting / Ricondo / BNP Associates / Code Red
- Stage: Under construction
- Team: Joao Abreu – María Astiaso – Nuria Campillo – Jesús Gallego – Sandra González – Krists Karklins – David López – Natalia Moreno – Nicolás Orellana – Enrique Pérez – Patricia Rojas – Francisco Rojo – Ángel Ruiz – Eduardo Sánchez – Francisco Sanjuán – Gabriel Sgorbini – Javier Torrecilla – Óscar Torrejón – Ítalo Veas – Marcos Velasco – Luis Vidal