Heathrow Airport Terminal 2
London, United Kingdom. 2008-2014
Terminal 2, The Queen’s Terminal, has become a landmark in terms of energy efficiency. It’s the world’s first airport to obtain a BREEAM Excellent rating, thanks to a design conceived to reduce CO2 emissions by 40% through the combination and development of active and passive energy systems.
The Queen’s Terminal is developed under a roof whose three large waves emphasize the three main parts of the process passengers go through when flying: check-in, security control and boarding. Thus, function and form are integrated to favor intuitive passenger orientation. Aiming at a construction method that minimizes the impact on the facilities and the adjacent urban environment, this goal was achieved through the use of innovative solutions based on modular systems and a carefully designed construction schedule.
The waves of the roof are tilted against each other, housing skylights in their intersections, all facing North, in order to allow an important inflow of natural light, while reducing damaging solar radiation and contributing to saving energy.
Departing passengers will enjoy more than 215,280 square feet of commercial area distributed in two floors, next to the boarding gates and offering excellent views of the flight field.
This unique project has been elected Best Airport Terminal in the World (Skytrax 2018), being the first airport to obtain a BREEAM Excellent qualification. It has also been awarded as Green Design by the Chicago Athenaeum, topping a list of over 27 international awards and nominations.
- Place/Date: London, United Kingdom / 2008-2014
- Client: HETCo (JV between Ferrovial and Laing O’Rourke)
- Architects: luis vidal + architects
- Consultants: Pascall + Watson / Barry Weekes / O.T. Ferrovial Agroman / Fhecor Ingenieros Consultores / CARMA / CG Proyectos / Solventa / Hoare Lea Consulting / Davis Langdon Schumann Smith / Warrington Fire Research / Reef Associates / Siemens-Vanderlande / Immodo /Carma / Euroestudios / Merebrook / Fractal / Gleeds
- Area: 2,368,000 sq. ft.
- Capacity: 20 M pax/year
- Budget: 880 M GB
- Stage: Built
- Team: João Abreu – Raquel Albarrán – Patricia Allona – Alejandra Alonso – María Álvarez-Santullano – Mar Araujo – Paz Armenta – María Astiaso – Assier Aurrekoetxea – David Ávila – Laura Belmonte – Irene Capote – Eva Clark – Eva Couto – Marta Cumellas – Zelia Da Costa – Cristina Da Cotta – Chris Dawson – Sara del Piñal – Oscar Ignacio Encabo – David Fernández-Feito – José Luis Fernández-Moráis – Sonia Ferreras – Ana Belén Franco – Amparo Galván – Marta Gálvez – Emilio García – Magdalena García de Durango – Isabel Gil – Jaime Gimeno – Raúl Gómez – Florian Graumann – Nima Haghighatpour – Andrés Infantes – Carlos Jiménez – Itziar Lamy – Reyes León – Patricia Lozano – Ana Claudia Mantovani – Paloma Martín – Álvaro Martínez – Álvaro Mayoral – José Miguel Ibáñez – David López – Jugatx López Amurrio – Arturo López-Bachiller – Lourdes Moreno – Héctor Orden – David Palomares – José Parejo – Enrique Pérez – Sonia Pérez – David Pérez Escudero – Cecilia Piñeiro – Ángela Rodríguez – Arturo Romero – Patricia Rojas – Francisco Rojo – Santiago Sánchez – Manuel Sánchez de Ocaña – Francisco Sanjuan – Carlos Sanz – Beatriz Sendín – Teresa Serrano – Gentaro Shimada – Óscar Torrejón – Marcos Velasco – Luis Vidal – Aldana Zabala