Located in the Puchoco Schwager sector of the Chilean city of Coronel, the former miners gym was built in 1930 by the Coal Company and Schwager smelter.
It was rebuilt in the wake of the earthquake of 1939, and in the 1970s, when the coal mines were closed, the building was abandoned.
Recently taken over by the City Council of Coronel, the project aims to reverse the ruination of the building, restore its functionality, and put in order its immediate surroundings, clearly linking it with the parish church of Jesus Obrero, with which it forms a monumental whole.
The project reconstructs the wall almost archaeologically, barely restoring the original facings. The design has a contemporary and lightweight cover that allows the building to be sealed off and structurally strengthened. And finally, it incorporates modern sports facilities inside, simultaneously expanding the sports endowment of the public school that is also located in the square.
Contemporary and light covering
|Place/Date:||Coronel, VIII Región, Chile, 2014|
|Client:||Coronel Communal Council|
|Arquitects:||luis vidal + architects - SWARQ|
|Team:||João Abreu Miguel - Fernando Arenas - Luis Cercós - Nuria Espina - Concha Millán - Arturo López-Bachiller - David Fernández Feito - David Fernández Llompart - Oscar Torrejón - Jesús Mejías - Luis Vidal - Santiago Sánchez Bonache|