The Chapel of San Sebastián de Los Ángeles was inaugurated in 1873 as a part of the San Sebastián Hospital. In the 1950s, the chapel was built locked inside the new hospital area, thus losing its connection with the city.
Currently, the third phase of the standardization of the Dr. Victor Ruiz Ruiz Hospital Center is underway, recovering the lost prominence of the Chapel of San Sebastián de Los Ángeles, even though it is still enclosed within the Hospital.
The basic and essential guideline is the minimum intervention, by a rigorous restoration, consolidation of the structure and freeing interior space, returning the chapel to its original integrity and capacity. The proposed intervention gives the side corridor an exhibition area as well as a meeting area for the parishioners. That is why a supporting expository is created that, in addition to taking part in the cultural process, creates living and relaxing areas.
Place of worship in a hospital setting
|Place/Date:||Los Ángeles, Región del Biobío, Chile, 2014|
|Client:||Dirección de Arquitectura MOP, Gobierno de Chile|
|Arquitects:||luis vidal + architects - SWARQ|
|Team:||Joao Abreu - Lourdes Moreno - Arturo López-Bachiller - Concepción Millán - Jesús Mejías - Luis Vidal - Santiago Sánchez-Bonache - Oscar Torrejón|